Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Hot & Crispy

Wow.  It was 102 here yesterday and they are calling for 104 today. Ugh.....  That is just wrong! So, I shall light a candle and say a prayer for the man that invented Air Conditioning and stay inside and let my Bionic Hip heal, while the electric meter spins in a wild frenzy to keep me cooool............I think some knitting might be in order today.

Chuck rounded up a couple of strays young men in the neighborhood to help him get hay for "The Girls".  The guy we buy it from grows the most awesome weed free Bermuda and he was baling
yesterday, so Chuck headed over for a couple of loads.  208 bales of fresher than fresh, yummy hay for our babies.  They were sure happy last night to get that treat, since their pasture is all dry and depleted.  We need rain SOOOO bad!  It's been weeks upon weeks since we've had anything significant.  But what a miserable day to have to get the hay at 102 degrees!  With hay, it's all about the timing and ya can't take a chance and wait, so that hard working man of mine was hard at it yesterday!

Between the heat and the Japanese Beetles, my poor rose garden is looking pretty sad.  I do believe that Chuck finally got the Beetles under control and with plenty of watering, the roses finally seem to be making a come-back.  I'll be so glad when I am able to get out in the yard and take care of some of this stuff.  All of my flower beds and plants need a lot more TLC than poor Chuck is able to give them when he gets home at night.  Hopefully, it won't be long and I can get out and do more. {and hopefully, it will be cooler by then too, so this Yankee doesn't melt!}

Today is the half-way mark to being able to get back to doing some normal daily activities.  It's been 3 weeks today since my surgery and there are so many things that I can't do for "6 weeks".  My follow-up appt with the surgeon is the 28th and I can't wait!  The incision has healed 'nicely' and I'm finally able to leave it un-bandaged and I'm past the point of any risk for infection, so that's a plus.  They actually "glued" the incision, so I haven't had to deal with those nasty staples, like I did for my back (all 24 of them. yuck).  There has been so much improvement the past week or so, I am finally able to get a feel for how much better off I am going to be. I am feeling better in general, but also gaining in strength and stability each day.  The Physical Therapy is rather rigorous, but so very beneficial.  I have gone from my walker, to using only a cane and half the time, I walk off and forget that.  Chuck is paranoid that I'll fall and 'disrupt my ball joint" as he puts it.  LOL  Actually, as time goes by it IS getting harder to keep from doing the things I'm not supposed to do.  This last 3 weeks might be tougher than the 1st 3 weeks.  Still can't bend over (but I 'can') still cant get my leg past that 90 degree point, still can't sit in chairs too low, still can't 'twist & shout', but......Boy Howdy, can I walk!!  Not for miles and miles, yet, but a hellovalot further than I was able to!  Still can't drive, tho'.  Some surgeons say 2 weeks, mine is all about waiting 6 weeks.  I could understand that while I was dependent on Percocet to keep me pain free, but I'm down to Vicodin now and much less often.  Anyway, I'll be a good girl and wait for his okay, but I am sure antsy to DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!  Places to go. Things to do. People to see.  Primarily......lunch with Victoria!!!!!

Well, me thinks I shall go check on some blogs, check in with FB and tend to my knitting!  See ya'.

10 comments:

Harriet said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Glad you're feeling better.

You need some ladybugs to protect your roses. Gee, I haven't seen Japanese beetles since I was a kid. I wonder what happened to them all.

YankeeChick said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Harriet
I hadn't seen Japanese Beetles since I was a kid either. I can remember going around the garden with my Dad plucking them off the plants and dropping them into a tin can with some gasoline in it, to kill them. LOL But now that you mention it, I have not seen any Lady Bugs around this year. Wonder what's up with that?

Terri said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better and getting stronger every day. I know you don't want to wait but it will be so worth it if the outcome and results of this surgery do the job for you. Stay cool and try to behave! Glad you are blogging again too.

Poolie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sounds like you are on the full road to recovery! I am so excited for you! And I am also excited to see you writing again, my friend.

YankeeChick said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Terri
This is one of those rare times when I am {most of the time} managing to exercise some patience! It has been a long and difficult journey to this place I am arriving at and I FINALLY feel that this train is about to arrive at it's final destination :)

YankeeChick said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Poolie
Thanks, Buddy! I'm getting excited for me, too! It's been a long time coming and as soon as I CAN dance, I shall be doing The Happy Dance every day!! Weeeeeeeee........

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I didn't know you were having hip surgery! I'm glad it went well and that you're on the mend

Just Words On A Page said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hey I am so glad to hear your hip surgery went well -- are you sleeping with that pillow between your knees? My girlfriend actually gave her pillow a name, and referred to her pillow as her naughty boyfriend who was always "between her legs" ha ha.

I bet you will feel so much better in 6 weeks when you can actually exercise. I am so thrilled to see you blogging again, I have missed you.

YankeeChick said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Just Words On A Page
Oh, yes! I have my pillow, but the strange thing is I have always slept on my left side......forever, and I actually haven't been able to lie flat on my back since my back surgery. In my desperation to get truly comfortable and get a good nights sleep, I have discovered that I can now actually sleep best on my back with the pillow under the backs of my knees! Sadly {and surprisingly} I have not named my pillow. Poor pillow :(

Thanks for being so happy to see me back. It pleases me greatly ;. It would please me even more if you wrote more yourself, Girl!! And I miss you ever so much on FB.

YankeeChick said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@kitchenblogic.com
It came about rather quickly and I never did blog about it, just jabbered a bit on FB. I got back from Alaska May 29th, saw the Surgeon for the 1st time June 2nd and was in for surgery 2 weeks later. This Surgeon and my hip had a whirlwind courtship, I'll tell ya'!